Sunday, May 31, 2009

Observations About Various Teachings

I'm reading through Mark right now and made a few observations tonight in the course of five minutes that I thought related to what I have heard professed by other religions that don't square with the word of God.

First I read the parable of the tenants. The owner of the vineyard (God) sent various servants (prophets) to the tenants (Israel) to get some fruit, but those servants were beaten and/or killed. The owner finally sent one last person, his son (Jesus) who was also killed. The owner had little choice but to destroy the vineyard and give it to others (the Gentiles). From this I see that Jesus was the last one sent directly by God the Father. None are sent after him.

Second I read the question asked of Jesus about marriage after the resurrection. I have heard some teach that we can be married for all eternity, but it seems fairly clear that there will be no marriage after the resurrection, nor does it make sense that there would be a need for it -- marriage is for here on earth. Heaven isn't going to get populated by reproduction and we aren't going to experience loneliness or the need for helpers there.

Those are the two things that popped into my head tonight, but over time I have encountered various others.

For example it seems quite clear in the Bible that we shouldn't put undue emphasis on Mary or the dead as some erroneously teach.

It also seems quite clear in the Bible that Jesus is in fact God in the flesh. While there are numerous examples of this through his speech and actions (such as being worshiped without rebuking the worshipers). My favorite for a long time though comes from the apostle Thomas when he says, after seeing Jesus after the resurrection, "My Lord and My God". I always thought more evidence of this idea from Jesus' followers would be great, and I read the other day where Paul writes in Titus "...waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ."

Now that's fully awesome.

Brothers and sisters keep diligently reading the word of God, its the best measuring stick we have to hold up to teachings we're not sure about!

Grace and Peace

0 comments: