Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Working The System

I was led to think about something on the way home that I haven't often thought much about. We as humans get pretty good at working systems when we're in them long enough. And we've got a lot of them.

On the way home I was working the rush hour traffic system for one. I've got my route for efficiency. Hit the bypass -- if the line's too long to get on you go down the side, turn right and make a U-turn. Cheesy but it works. Then you don't get on the 56 right away, take the first exit and stay to the right and merge in -- pass about 20-30 slow movers that way. Then get off the next exit if traffic's too slow and go through the light -- no meter or pile up so you pass another 30-40 slow movers that way. Then immediately change to the left lane because the right slows down ahead. And so on. Home in no time!

Same at work. I'm slow on part of my project because I don't know the system. Different OS, different build system, different source control, different processes, everything! I suck at it -- slow as molasses uphill in the winter. Get me in Windows under VS2005 writing in C# and I'll fly baby -- I know that system.

That got me to thinking, praise the LORD we are not under a religious system. Oh man sure has invented plenty of his own, but they have nothing to do with a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Thank God I was not saved while under any religious system either, so there is no question in my mind! Nothing but the power of Christ working in my heart and mind and raising me from the dead state I was in to new life, period!

Because guess what? Since we're good with systems and develop ways to work them, we certainly can do the same with religious systems. We figure out quickly what to do, what to say, how to act in various situations, and so on. As my brother would say also in this country we're very into methods. Do evangelism this way. Follow this laid out program. Pray that way. Lock it down and box it up so its cookie cuttered and canned -- an easy thing for us to work.

It's hogwash! Stay away! We try to box in God enough, stupid humans we are. Yielding to the Spirit and allowing him to lead us in our walk with the living God is so much better of a way to go. We should test ourselves to see how we're doing in the faith, but if our measuring stick is a man-made system rather than the Word of God, we're headed for trouble.

Praise the LORD for his ability to work in anyone, and through anyone and anything, to get his purposes accomplished.

Grace and Peace my friend.

0 comments: