Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Lesson From Esau

Remember Esau? He's the guy who sold his birthright to Jacob for some bread and lentil stew. Nevermind the later inheritance. He was hungry and wanted stew, immediately! Then later he said that Jacob cheated him and took his birthright from him (nevermind that he agreed to it).

Born again believers become children of God have an inheritance as well, and a really good one at that! It doesn't come without some strings attached of course, and those strings include turning from sin to Jesus, having faith in Jesus as Savior, and following Jesus as Lord. Living life as a Paul instead of a Saul requires walking a more difficult road.

We live in a world of nearly instant gratification and waning morality. Given that, are we going to reject the value of our eternal inheritance and trade it for a short time of fake happiness through self-indulgence? Or are we going to seek the inheritance, fulfill the duties that come with it, and find real joy at the same time?

I know the obvious choice is the latter; I just need some help to keep making it, and I'm really thankful that God's got my back.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Barney--I'm so glad I found your blog! You have such a strong faith and reading your entries has helped strengthen mine and has given me several opportunities to say "Amen,Barney!" It was great getting to know you and your lovely bride thru CRB small groups. Now Sal & I can stay in touch thru your blogs! Keep believin', Barney. Yours in Christ....Morgan

Snow2112 said...

Thanks Morgan! I pray you all have a safe trip to your new home. :-)