Saturday, January 9, 2010

The History of "Christianity"

I'm reading a book called The History of Christianity by Justo Gonzalez. This is from the 16th century into the 20th century. I'm about halfway through the 16th century right now.

I think the book should be called The History of "Christianity" instead. I'm not knocking the book. I'm knocking a lot of the actions in the book that don't seem to have a lot to do with following Christ, but rather have a lot to do with politics, money, power, needless war, and so on.

So, I will rant using no words of my own.

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God. (Matthew 15:6b)

Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. (2 Timothy 2:14)

You shall not murder. (Exodus 20:13)

You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's. (Exodus 20:17)

End rant.

No wonder the founders of this country wanted church and state separate. And yet, that only trades one set of problems for another. Stupid devil. Stupid, clever clever devil.

Back to reading. For what its worth, out of all the groups I've read about so far, I like those Anabaptist guys. Not the violent revolutionary ones, but those later ones that ended up becoming known as the Mennonites. Maybe that's because they weren't killing anybody.

Grace and Peace

0 comments: