Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Motivation

You know before I came to Christ I thought there was something screwed up with "religion". I guess I still do, because I still maintain that Christianity is not about a religion, but a relationship with God.

What I thought was stupid was the whole system of works. You see, at this time, I didn't know the gospel of Christ. I figured everything, Christianity included, was about works righteousness. We live our lives and then we are judged to determine our eternal destination and what rewards or punishment we receive, based on what we do in life and how we measure up to God's standard.

Why I thought it was is stupid is the motives seemed all wrong. Either I'm avoiding bad things that I really want to do, and maybe doing things I might not really want to do, because I fear hell. Or I'm doing that because I desire riches in heaven. Fear and greed. Two ultra-powerful motivators if you ask me. But they suck!

It was only until after I came to know Christ that the truth was made known to me. I do not follow God's law out of fear or greed, but because I love God. His word says that whatever we do, we should do it to the glory of God. And that is not something that should be driven by fear, or greed, but love for God and love for our neighbor (which is a way to show love for God!). What once seemed like a requirement while I was dead becomes a joy now that I am alive. Praise the LORD for that simple and beautiful truth!

Grace and Peace

0 comments: