Monday, October 13, 2008

4 Steps To Lasting Joy

First, Seek And Believe.

God gives us evidence of His existence:

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse

Jesus says we should seek the kingdom of God:

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Jesus says that if we seek, we will find:

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
Luk 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

We will also be rewarded for seeking:

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Next, Trust.

Jesus says we must trust Him:

Mar 11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

Luk 17:6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Joh 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Next, Follow And Do.

Jesus says we must follow Him:

Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Mar 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Luk 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Joh 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

In Christ we are a new creation, for good works:

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Works come from trusting Jesus and following Him:

Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Finally, Enjoy It.

Jesus says that His commandments, which we keep partially through the works we do, are so our joy may be full:

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Joh 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Joh 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Now, we must not forget that none of this is because of anything we did.

No one seeks for God on their own:

Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

It is God the Father who draws us to Jesus:

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Thus, we are saved by God's grace alone, not anything we do:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Thank you!

So, thank you Father; thank you Jesus!

Thank you for the grace that you have given me that allows me to see that Jesus suffered and died for my sins and rose from the dead. Thank you for the grace you have given me that allows me to put my trust in you for everything, including guiding me through my life on earth, providing for me and my family, and, most importantly, my salvation. Thank you for the grace that replaced a slavery to sin with a desire to do good for your glory.

0 comments: