Monday, October 6, 2008

Faith Versus Belief

I've done a lot of searching (and have a lot more to do). I like to look for evidence supporting the existence of God the Father, the reality of Christ's death and resurrection, the accuracy and inerrancy of the Bible, etc. I like that I can look at the evidence and come to a logical and honest conclusion about these things. I thought that doing this served to strengthen my faith.

Then a question ran through my head tonight, wondering how much faith I actually had if I kept looking for this evidence. I.e. does it actually weaken faith to keep looking for evidence like this? It appeared to me as if I was being like Thomas -- who had to see the Lord's pierced hands and side to believe that he rose from the dead, rather than trusting in what the other disciples told him.

Then I realized that faith and belief are two different things, and that part of what I considered to be faith was not, it is belief.

Belief is what we think reality is -- "confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof". I believe in God, and in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I will continue to search for things to strengthen that belief.

That is not enough.

Faith is trust -- "confidence or trust in a person or thing". I have faith in God, but realize now that it is not as big as I thought it to be. It needs to grow. I'd like for it to be at least as big as a mustard seed!

I had the two intertwined for so long, I thought they were the same thing. I pray now that both my faith and belief are strengthened, for they clearly are different.

0 comments: