Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hungry For God?

Tonight I had some old school Ramen Noodles. None of that bogus Top Ramen stuff, either. The real deal. Good old Maruchan Ramen Noodles. Why did I bother to get up off the couch, boil the water, put in the noodles, stir in that powder packet that makes the noodles taste like chicken (or as chicken might taste if obliterated and ground into powder I guess), and wait for them to cool off? I'll tell you why -- I was hungry!

Do we have the same active attitude toward feeding our hunger for God? Or are we generally more passive? I think often -- much too often -- I am the latter. Maybe we often say to the Lord "If you need something, I'm here" or "Just show me the way" or "I'm your servant", but then we don't take any initiative and act on what we've said. Maybe we skip church. Maybe we don't read the Word of God enough, or at all. Maybe we don't go to Bible studies. Maybe we only talk in prayer and fail to listen. Maybe we keep quiet about the gospel when we should speak. Maybe we don't imitate Christ when we interact with others. Maybe we ignore the prodding of the Spirit and stay home from those volunteer opportunities we had.

In short, do our actions reflect a real spiritual hunger?

Now what if we had a passive attitude toward physical hunger? The way Charles Stanley says it "I'll just lay right here with my mouth open, and if someone wants to come along and drop some food in, I'll eat it".

Well, that won't work very will, now will it?!

I for one see a need to increase my hunger for the bread of life and my thirst for living water -- and at the same time do more to fill that hunger and thirst. There are so many more things I could do that I end up blowing off, because I've got a big fat foot still stuck in the world.

Good thing God's got a bigger crowbar and a strong arm.

3 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Happy New Year. I like how you put the two pieces together. Very well done, and very correct in describing most of us.

Morgan said...

Barney.....I love your writing. It speaks so loud and clear to me!

Snow2112 said...

Thanks you guys! :-)