Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ranking Snares

That's an odd title for sure, but bear with me.

I think in my head I have had this notion that some snares are worse than others. For the record, I'm using the word snare here to mean "a lie that pulls us away from God". I.e. a "snare of the devil" as Paul might say.

Let's say there are these things I could find myself doing with all of my free time: A) drinking, gambling, and sleeping with prostitutes B) playing Scrabble and Mario Kart C) playing with my kids and D) protesting against some injustice in another country and trying to get some oppressed people more rights.

I think its a no-brainer that A isn't a "good" thing, but what about the rest of them? B seems kind of neutral -- just something to relax and take my mind off the troubles of the world. C and D seem "good" -- in the former I'd be showing my children love and in the latter I'd be doing something noble to help other people.

However, I think that ALL of these COULD be snares. It all depends on the motivation behind them, doesn't it?

I don't think A requires much explanation.

What about B, a "neutral" one? Am I obsessed with beating other people to show how good I am? Am I so addicted to these games that I don't feel "right" if I don't play them?

What about C, a "good" one? Is it really good? Am I making idols of my own children so that I ignore other relationships in my life, especially the most important one? Am I interested in only appearing to them or others as a good dad? Am I even bothering to tell them about God as we play together? Am I so jaded against the rest of the world that they are the only ones who bring me joy?

What about D, another "good" one? Is it really good? As I fight for social justice, am I bothering to spread the gospel as well? Or am I just trying to do the "social gospel" thing and not tell people about Jesus? What good is that going to do them in the end?

I think in all of these its possible to look for joy in the wrong place. I'm not saying its wrong to drink sometimes and gamble sometimes. I'm not saying we shouldn't take the time to relax and place games sometimes. I'm not saying we shouldn't play with our kids or find joy in them. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to stand up for the rights of others in this world.

However what I am saying is that we shouldn't make false gods of anything or anyone, even though it appears "neutral" or "good" by the world's standards. Just because it appears to be "good" on the surface doesn't mean its not getting between us and God.

After all, we're supposed to do everything to the glory of God. Given that, I ask this -- is it sinful to do something NOT for the glory of God? :-) If there was some tiny fragment of a thought in someone's mind that he could go through life and not sin, the answer to that question alone should shatter it!

On the same note, here's a great post on drinking orange juice to the glory of God (I find it funny I didn't realize it was by John Piper until just a second ago):

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1986/1489_How_To_Drink_Orange_Juice_to_the_Glory_of_God/

0 comments: